London Chess League Division 2
6.11.19 Citadines Hotel, Holborn
BATTERSEA II 7½-2 ½ ILFORD
- 196 T KENNA 1-0 JULIAN HUDSON 168
- 193 AC ASHBY ½ ANTHONY KENT 157
- e173 O MARCIANO 1-0 GARY THURSTON 152
- e175 P EVEN 0-1 VENKATESH SUBRAMANIAN e150
- 170j T JONES 1-0 AIDAN CORISH 146
- 165 O WEISS 0-1 ANDREW MEDWORTH 146
- 161 E TODOROW 1-0 JASON W KLIMACH 145
- 149 DK DUPIUS 1-0 MALCOLM GESTHUYSEN 139
- 147 T WELLS 1-0 JEF PAGE 128
- 126 S WARD-RIGGS 1-0 TAHA UNDRE e130
Toss won by Battersea, White on odd boards.
Ilford were missing a couple of regulars on top boards, and well outgraded on the first 9 boards. Well, at least that has got the excuses out of the way. The match stated badly for Ilford when Taha Undre rashly sacrificed a Bishop in the opening against Ward-Riggs, and was doomed. I got ground down by Wells in the endgame in a cramped position never being able to develop my bits forcefully. However, Subramanian played well and won a Rook and Andrew Medworth won ably yet again.Board 1 saw a Colorado gambit (not the marijuana variety). Black fought hard, but white seemed to always have an edge. Board 2 saw a feisty Birds opening, with White gaining strong material advantage, but going into a drawn bishop ending as the clock ran down. So nil points in London after 2 games. Plenty to play for.
Next London League match: Ilford v Dulwich, 27 November. New players very welcome!